SDCC 2014: Tarantino Confirms 'Hateful Eight' and 'Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair'

Tuesday, 29 July 2014 11:56 Written by  iamrogue
Rate this item
(2 votes)
SDCC 2014: Tarantino Confirms 'Hateful Eight' and 'Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair'

Quentin Tarantino's a talkative guy.

Over the weekend, he brought his unique gift of gab to San Diego, promoting his upcoming Django Unchained-Zorro crossover comic.

The filmmaker finally confirmed that he's making The Hateful Eight next and also offered an update on when we mighty actually see the Kill Bill mega-movie he's been talking about for the last decade.

Tarantino was clear that his next project would be another western, but when his first draft leaked early this year, the writer-director put the kibosh on The Hateful Eight, saying, "It’s not going to be the next thing I do. It’s my baby, and if the muse calls me later to do it, we’ll do it. I was thinking about the idea of maybe publishing it before I made it, but now that deal happens for sure, and I’m not doing it next,”

After letting his jets cool for a few months, Tarantino oversaw a live-reading of the script and intimated that he had, in fact, changed his mind.

Then, just this month, Kurt Russell revealed that it's on, saying, “I’ve got a Tarantino project called The Hateful Eight that looks like it may go somewhere around the beginning of the year."

At the Dynamite Comics presentation in San Diego, Tarantino was asked about the western.  He played coy for much of his response, but according to Collider, the director said, “Yeah – We’re going to be doing The Hateful Eight. ”

The film concerns a group of strangers holed up in a haberdashery during a blizzard.  Russell is expected to be joined onscreen by the cast of the live-read, which included Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Amer Tamblyn, Bruce Dern, James Parks, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, Denis Menochet, Zoe Bell, Dana Gourrier, and James Remar.

Let's double back to Kill Bill, Tarantino's revenge saga released as two separate volumes in 2003 and 2004.  Originally, the director intended for Kill Bill to be one massive film, but after a working cut was shown at Cannes 2003, Miramax opted to split the Bride's story into two parts.

Since then, Tarantino has talked up Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair.  He even exhibited the huge movie for a few weeks at the New Beverly in Los Angeles a few years back.

During the Dynamite panel, Tarantino explained that this cut includes an extended animation sequence and Slashfilm was there to get the details.  "What’s going on with that is originally back when Kill Bill was going to be one movie, I wrote an even longer anime sequence. So you see in the movie [O-Ren] kill her boss but then there was that long hair guy… The big sequence was her fighting that guy. I.G. [The Japanese Anime Studio] who did Ghost in the Shell said we can’t do that and finish it in time for your thing. And [plus] you can’t have a thirty-minute piece in your movie. I said okay," he explained. "It was my favorite part but it was the part you could drop. So we dropped it and then later when I.G. heard we were talking about doing Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair — they still had the script so without even being commissioned, they just did it and paid for it themselves. It’s really terrific."

"Anyway," he concluded, getting to the juicy bit. "The Weinstein Company and myself were talking about actually coming out with it sometime, not before the year is out, but within the next year with limited theatrical engagement as well."

More in this category

Follow ROGUE

Latest Trailers

view more »

Featured Links

Around the Web