Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt Likely to Star in No-Girls-Allowed 'Ghostbusters'

Monday, 09 March 2015 15:04 Written by  iamrogue
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt Likely to Star in No-Girls-Allowed 'Ghostbusters'

Apparently we're on the cusp of not just next summer's Ghostbusters reboot, but a whole cinematic universe, a Marvel-style set of cross-pollinating paranormal franchises.

The curious thing about the 'Bustiverse is that it is reportedly as divided by gender as a kindergarten playground.

Paul Feig's all-female reboot is still happening, and it's the Iron Man of a Ghostbusters Universe, the second installment in which will be a "male-driven action-centric comedy" that may very well star Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt.

Tatum is just one member in a pretty crazy team of talent Sony Pictures has assembled serve as a creative brain trust.  O.G. B.G. shot-callers Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd are producing alongside Tatum and his partners Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan with the Russo Brothers producing and maybe – just maybe – directing, too.

Remember how far-fetched this situation sounded when Aykroyd described it just a few weeks ago?

Iron Man Three co-writer Drew Pearce is writing the screenplay and reportedly cooked up the whole idea. His Marvel brethren Joe and Anthony Russo are preparing to shoot Captain America: Civil War.  Since Spider-Man's almost certainly making his MCU debut in Civil War, the duo kicked up a lot of online speculation when they signed a three-picture deal with Sony last week; a lot of folks thought it might signal their involvement in the rebooted Spider-Man series.  Nobody imagined that the Russos were going to be architects of a new Ghostbusters hyper-franchise.

That, however, is just what they're doing as part of the producing team dubbed Ghostcorp.

“We want to expand the Ghostbusters universe in ways that will include different films, TV shows, merchandise, all things that are part of modern filmed entertainment,” Reitman told Deadline.

“This is a branded entertainment, a scary supernatural premise mixed with comedy. Paul Feig’s film will be the first version of that, shooting in June to come out in July 2016. He’s got four of the funniest women in the world, and there will be other surprises to come. The second film has a wonderful idea that builds on that. Drew will start writing and the hope is to be ready for the Russo Brothers’ next window next summer to shoot, with the movie coming out the following year," he said. "It’s just the beginning of what I hope will be a lot of wonderful movies.”

The exact relationship between Feig's Ghostbusters and this second picture is vague.  Is it a sequel?  A spinoff?  Will any of the lady 'Busters appear in this one, or is it the Dr. Pepper Ten of this still-hypothetical movie universe?

Also unclear is whether or not the Russo Brothers will direct.  Reitman's hoping they'll have the time next summer, but they've long been rumored to take over as directors on Avengers: Infinity War - Parts 1 & 2, set for release in 2018 and 2019.  To go from Captain America: The Winter Soldier to Civil War to Ghostbusters then straight to two Avengers movies sounds physically impossible, so we'll just have to stay tuned to find out which projects they actually direct.

Whomever directs, there's a new regime at a studio hard up for franchises and the current vogue for interconnected, "branded" blockbuster series, so the Ecto-1 is getting pimped out, so to speak. 

Badass Digest cites sources within Sony saying that there are, in fact, four different movies planned in this universe.  There's the intro in summer 2016, this quasi-sequel, then a third film bringing Feig's team and Russo's team together in a crossover, as well as a mysterious prequel.  Devin's sources also claim that the Russos' project isn't as "male-centric" as Deadline suggests, but is instead simply built on the chemistry between real-life pals Tatum and Pratt.

“My primary focus will be to build the Ghostbusters into the universe it always promised it might become," explained Reitman. "The original film is beloved, as is the cast, and we hope to create films we will continue to love.”

So if all goes according to plan, by the time Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon make their Ghostbusting debut next summer, C-Tates and co. might already be shooting the follow-up, whatever it is exactly.

Production on Feig and writer Katie Dippold's reboot kicks off production in June.  One can't help but wonder if the vociferousness of the response (in some quarters) to the female cast contributed to the fellas-only follow-up.  Is Sony worried that the only way to get men to see a Ghostbusters movie is to have men wearing the proton packs?  Is this pandering to the overprotective grown-ass men who fumed over Feig's idea? Does "branding" in this instance mean Ghostbusters movies for every demographic?

An even more fundamental question: Will the Ghostbustiverse actually continue to expand like the MCU?  Or will it implode, like, say, Sony's recent Amazing Spider-Man debacle?

More in this category

Follow ROGUE

Latest Trailers

view more »