The 'Dumb & Dumber' Sequel Shoots This September With Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels

Monday, 02 April 2012 08:28 Written by  Jordan DeSaulnier
Rate this item
(0 votes)
The 'Dumb & Dumber' Sequel Shoots This September With Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels

It's been eighteen years since we last saw Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels as Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne, two men for whom the label "half wit" would be excessively generous.  The duo, last seen despondently trudging along the highway after losing everything on the Aspen adventure in Dumb & Dumber, are returning in a sequel, and according to a source in a position to say so, production on the Dumb & Dumber sequel is set to begin this September.

Peter Farrelly and Bobby Farrelly, the sibling directors who in 1994 found commercial success with the first Dumb & Dumber, their debut film, have been involved in the sequel's development since last summer.  They, along with one of their leading men, have been reticent to do sequels to their films.  The Farrelly Brothers have never made a sequel, and Jim Carrey only ever participated in Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls due to contractual obligations.

Yet here we are, with the siblings and stars attached for a sequel to the Farrelly's second-most commercially successful venture, one exceeded only by 1997's There's Something About Mary.  While promoting the upcoming release of the new theatrical The Three Stooges, a longtime passion project, Peter Farrelly confirmed to Coming Soon that the Dumb & Dumber sequel begins production in just a few months.

"We're getting set to shoot 'Dumb and Dumber 2' in September," he explained. "It's the first sequel we've ever done and we've got Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels back."

Without the original directors and stars, New Line decided to go ahead with a prequel, Dumb & Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd, in 2003.  The result, which cast Eric Christian Olsen and Derek Richardson as the imbecilic pair, was not terribly well-received and one can only imagine that this new sequel will entirely disregard that misbegotten venture.

Farrelly acknowledged that prequel, saying, "We did not do 'Dumb and Dumberer.' That was a studio thing. So we've always wanted to do a sequel and finally Jim called up. Jeff always wanted to do it. We always wanted to do it. Jim was busy, but he called and said, 'We've got to do this thing again.' He had just watched 'Dumb and Dumber' and he said, 'This is the perfect sequel. Let's do it.'"

In October of last year, Sean Anders and John Morris were hired to write the sequel screenplay.  Anders and Morris co-wrote and directed the 2008 comedy Sex Drive.  Having subsequently written Mr. Popper's Penguins and Hot Tub Time Machine, the duo are currently That's My Boy, this summer's comedy starring Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg.  No word as yet on just what the story of the Dumb & Dumber sequel will be, but hopefully we'll soon know the fate of I've Got Worms, Lloyd and Harry's dream pet store.

More in this category

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Follow ROGUE

Latest Trailers

view more »

Featured Links

Around the Web