IAR EXCLUSIVE: Peter Farrelly Talks 'Dumb & Dumber To'

Tuesday, 15 January 2013 10:56 Written by  Jordan DeSaulnier
Rate this item
(0 votes)
IAR EXCLUSIVE: Peter Farrelly Talks 'Dumb & Dumber To'

When we last saw Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels at the end of Dumb & Dumber almost two decades ago, Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne were trudging along a highway, having missed their opportunity to become Hawaiian Tropic greaseboys. 

We will discover their fate, though.  According to co-director Peter Farrelly in an IAR exclusive, the sequel, tentatively titled Dumb & Dumber To, is definitely happening.

Sibling directorial duo Peter and Bobby Farrelly have never directed a sequel to any of their comedies, which include Something About Mary and Kingpin.  Last April, however, the Farrelly Brothers signed up for a Dumb & Dumber sequel originally intended to begin production in September 2012.

Unlike the misguided 2003 prequel Dumb and Dumber: When Harry Met Lloyd, this sequel would bring both Carrey and Daniels back to their roles as the imbecilic Rhose Islanders.  Carrey has historically been reluctant to participate in sequels; the only sequel in which he's starred was Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, and that was due entirely to a contractual obligation.  In June of last year, Carrey publicly backed out of Dumb & Dumber To, citing a lack of enthusiasm at Warner Bros., but shortly thereafter, Daniels stated that the sequel would happen with both stars after he finished filming the second season of the HBO series The Newsroom.

IAR Managing Editor Jami Philbrick had the opportunity to talk with Peter Farrelly about this month's mega-comedy Movie 43, a huge ensemble in which Farrelly directed a segment.  The full interview will run next week, so stay tuned for that, but we wanted to bring the inside scoop on Dumb & Dumber To first.

Clarifying once and for all whether both Carrey and Daniels are on board, Farrelly said in no uncertain terms, "Oh yeah, they’re in!"

As for just what is happening behind the scenes right now, Farrelly explained, "It’s going well. We have a great script and now we are just trying to get it made. The movie is being made through Warner Brothers but now we have several financiers that are negotiating with the studio and trying to make the best deal. Whichever one does will make the movie. It’s going to be made through Warner Brothers and released by Warner Brothers by financed by an outside financer."

When Philbrick inquired as to whether or not a start date has been scheduled for the production, Farrelly replied, "No. We don’t have a shoot date. We hope to be shooting this summer but it’s not firm yet. When it is it will be announced but because they are still negotiating some of the financial stuff it’s not a firm thing yet until that done."

So there you have it, folks.  Co-director Peter Farrelly says that Dumb & Dumber To is definitely still happening with both Carrey and Daniels committed to return and an as-yet uncertain commencement to principal photography.

Check back next week for IAR's complete interview with Farrelly regarding the truly outrageous and ambitious Movie 43.  Until then, enjoy your Big Gulps!

More in this category

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Follow ROGUE

Latest Trailers

view more »

Featured Links